Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Get Up" for Peace on February 24th


Though roughly 5,134 miles (8,262 km) lie between me and the staff of NICIE in Belfast, we're getting together a week from Sunday, February the 24th. We're also inviting everyone from Strangford Integrated College in Co. Down, people from all of the integrated schools throughout Northern Ireland for that matter, anyone in the world who wants to be part of the festivities, and of course, you. On the 24th we're uniting at iTunes to celebrate and support peace.

30 years ago Northern Ireland was for all intensive purposes, at war. Though it will not be named as such for all sorts of legal and political reasons, I imagine, all of the horror we understand as war was the day to day experience of the people there. In that very difficult setting, the work of the integrated education movement began via NICIE. They are the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education, and what they have been doing for 27 years now is establishing schools that Protestant and Catholics attend together. Their belief that educating children together would ultimately yield peace was correct.

Ten years ago people across Ireland voted for a peace process in the form of the Good Friday Agreement, and I was hooked. It's too long of a story for this post (there are some press accounts if you really want to know more). But suffice it to say, the inspiration that stirred my heart way back then has never left. In fact the approach of Spring each year reminds of that momentous and hopeful time. On my journey into trying to understand peace through the story of Ireland, I've traveled there, North and South, made friends with the people of NICIE, and enjoyed the opportunity to support that peace with my music. This on-line event affirms everything I believe in.

I believe we can help one another with something as simple as downloading a song. I believe that political activism makes a difference. And mostly, I believe that most people want to live in peace, whatever their ideological differences, and that the example of N. Ireland clearly demonstrates that peace is attainable.

I'd write a lot more if time only permitted, but I'm packing for an overdue long weekend holiday in San Diego. I just wanted to post here and ask people to please help me to get the word out about our special one-day, on-line fund-raiser. Of the $1.99 cost of a legal download at iTunes for this music video, $1.39 will be donated to NICIE. And with enough downloads on one day, we have a shot of making the iTunes Top 100 Music Video Charts. The students who star in this video, and their dedicated teachers Leah and Richard, are from one of these integrated schools, and are more than deserving of the recognition. Let's do it for them, their parents, for NICIE and for peace.

Peace,
Elizabeth

No comments: