Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Some days you just have to laugh

So I got up eager to embrace this my 3rd day in a row of Jillian Michaels exercise DVDs. It's part of my new fitness plan and I'm really committed to exercising at 11am every day. The first 2 DVDs I bought by her were super hard for me. I could follow along, but hardly do the exercises to the extent intended. The third one was the charm. Even though I clearly couldn’t do it all, hard core, it worked well enough to challenge me for now and give something to aim for. Yesterday was the Autumn equinox, and during my workout I was winded nearly to the point of feeling self-defeated. But I rallied through, reasoning that if I do this 5 days a week from now until Winter solstice, this is as out of shape as it gets and there’s only room for improvement. So I made my way through the 40 minute DVD. I felt good afterwords, we had a great day at work and I was even more encouraged and motivated to exercise before work this morning.

I'm old school when it comes to exercise, trained to not do anything crazy when my heart rate gets up into something we used to call the training zone. It meant 70-90% of your maximum heart rate capacity. The new generation says that this is an archaic fitness myth. Still, I'm quite reluctant to get my heart rate soaring and then say, go right to the mat to do ab work or suddenly stop moving at all. My enthusiasm had me really pumping it up this morning, until I went from jumping jacks straight down to the mat for, you guessed it, ab work. Bad move. My heart rhythm went so far off of the charts that I had to stop immediately, breathe and then slowly and carefully get myself up and onto my bed where I could prop myself up on pillows and re-center my heart rate and let slow it down. It's kind of scary when that happens and I'm fine now. BUT I KNOW BETTER in the first place. Love Jillian, but no more cardio/circuit straight to the mat. The mat circuit will be done after all of the standing work and my heart rate comes down a bit.

Even when lying on my pillows, feeling my heart rate stabilizing, I was proud of myself for trying to exercise today. That didn’t go so well I thought, but tomorrow I’ll try again and just change the sequence. I’m still going to have a great day I enthusiastically resolved. On the agenda? Uninstall and reinstall Adobe Dreamweaver. What was I thinking?

This was once an amazing program. I used it back in 2004 when it was owned and run by Macromedia, and it worked like a charm. It is a website design program and it worked well with Macs, something most other web design software wouldn’t work with at all. Since this past May and the last Mercury retrograde, when I downloaded Adobe’s version, it has been “The Program from Hell.” Not a session goes by without it locking up and freezing my entire brand new Mac. This Mac has tons of power, memory and free space, and has not had one single problem with any other software. And I have lots. After four months of calling Adobe’s Tech Support, usually to be told to go to their website and read complicated manuals that are undecipherable to the non-geek, I had decided to throw the baby out w the bath water and uninstall and reinstall the whole damn thing. What the Hell, right? Mercury is retrograde again. This is the ideal time to revisit and correct technical issues, right? Why waste more time trouble shooting and having those oh so special conversations with India? I backed everything up, got my serial number in order and only wanted to download Dreamweaver again, in case the errors came as a result of a corrupted file in the original download back in May.

So it takes ten years to reach someone, ok 20 minutes and seriously like another 30 minutes to download the new program file from Adobe. I do so only to find out that the moron, sorry, but, in CS sent me a Windows version of the .... software. I call back, again, for the 3rd time now, only to be informed that they’ll send me a CD of the program. That actually suits me just fine right about now. The site was just updated yesterday. My files are on both my external drive and on Yahoo’s server. And now I’ll have seven to ten working days before I deal with anymore technical nonsense. By then Mercury will be direct. I’m relatively sure that it will all be fine.

In the meantime, I’m decided to not try to accomplish anything else today. My workout gave me heart palpitations and the software won’t be here for ten days. Clearly God wants me to vegetate. So, I’ll hang out with some of my new astrology books, and be glad that they’re not on a Kindle!

No comments: