Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Woman Who Runs With Marines: Why I Said Yes to the MCM


Sometimes your routines need some serious shaking up. Sometimes you need a new goal to push yourself past complacency. Sometimes you just want to abandon the tedium of endless responsibilities and obligations for something totally fresh and inspiring. Then again, maybe it’s just me.


Last week the Director of the USO center where I volunteer sent out a notice about the 36th Annual Marine Corps Marathon. It takes place in Washington, DC at the end of October. While I thoroughly enjoy volunteering at our Charlotte Airport location, something about her memo struck an adventurous chord in me. So I began Googling. Visiting America’s historic sites was, after all, on my list of things to do when I left sunny California for the East Coast two years ago. So far, I haven’t gotten around to seeing anything beyond Wilmington. Funny how life works that way if you don’t begin seizing its opportunities. On the fitness front, this summer I’ve topped out at 4 miles on my runs, rationalizing that the extreme heat and humidity of the South at this time of year are physically challenging enough, for now anyway. Fortunately, the Marine Corps Marathon hosts an accompanying 10K run for those of us who aren’t quite up to, or more honestly, nowhere near, running 26 miles. So, I signed up, and I joined Team USO.


In the coming months I’ll hit up those of you who I know well for (large) donations. I’ve already begun increasing the distance of my runs, and am enjoying the returning enthusiasm. That I get to run with our Marines, and for all of our military service members the USO supports, is humbling beyond description. And even with all of the political animosity of late, I deeply look forward to visiting our country’s capitol. I will keep you posted as I train. In the meantime, you can visit my Team USO page and make a donation, and a difference.





Since the original post, I had time to make this video! Enjoy!

No comments: