Sunday, April 3, 2011

Speaking Words of Wisdom

When British Prime Minister David Cameron said of the latest bombing in Omagh, “Those who carried out this wicked and cowardly crime will never succeed in dragging Northern Ireland back to a dark and bloody past,” he expressed a much greater sentiment. For me his words apply equally to the thugs in Afghanistan who would jeopardize peace and security by brutally murdering UN workers, and to those who are now using this tragic incident to loot and pillage. In my view, his words also speak to the thoughtless act of Quran burning by that deranged preacher in Florida, and to Americans who now post in support of such malicious and divisive actions. Odd that some of their posts lament the burning of American flags. It seems to me that when you hold a symbol sacred, you inherently understand and respect the rights of others to hold their symbols sacred.

I believe that the despicable acts of a relative handful of rogues in Afghanistan do not represent the aspirations of the vast majority of the Afghan people anymore than the unspeakable actions of the U.S. Army soldiers who desecrated the remains of Afghans represent those of most Americans. Both actions are appalling and unacceptable. The misguided acts of the preacher, the disgraceful conduct of United States soldiers, the reprehensible killing of the UN workers and this most recent and unfortunate act of terrorism in Northern Ireland are sadly similar. I hope that as Prime Minister Cameron suggests we do not allow any one of them to drag to us into their mire.

I’ve been traveling to Ireland since 1998 when people on both sides of the border voted for peace via the Good Friday Peace Accord. Along my journey I have ventured to the North and stood on the grounds of the region’s infamous Troubles. It was a very sobering and saddening experience. In 2007, I had the great fortune of making a music video about conflict resolution with young Catholic and Protestant students from Northern Ireland. The bitter and tragic history of NI offers us an unflinching glimpse into the abyss of hatred and retribution. The overall success of the peace process of Northern Ireland is a stunning example of what can be achieved when people want peace, healing and reconciliation.

The news of the loss of this young Catholic police officer’s life, 13 years after the original Omagh bombing and initiation of the peace accord, is devastating and heartbreaking. He was only 25-years-old and had bravely dedicated his life to helping both communities. It strikes me that his courage is very similar to that of the young men in Afghanistan who nobly risk their lives daily by joining their police service. Too many of them are murdered for doing so. On a day like this I feel utterly lost and disheartened. But I remember Northern Ireland’s late Gordon Wilson and I find solace and inspiration in his poignant words. He was the father of a young woman who was killed in the Enniskillen bombing, and this is what he said to a BBC reporter at the time.

“She held my hand tightly, and gripped me as hard as she could. She said, 'Daddy, I love you very much.' Those were her exact words to me, and those were the last words I ever heard her say. But I bear no ill will. I bear no grudge. Dirty sort of talk is not going to bring her back to life. She was a great wee lassie. She loved her profession. She was a pet. She's dead. She's in heaven and we shall meet again. I will pray for these men tonight and every night.”

No comments: